Friday, July 29, 2005

On being Judge-mental

I'm extremely supportive of John Roberts being considered for a seat on the Supreme Court. Judge Roberts has led a distinguished legal career, and based on what I've read, is in agreement with the vast majority of Americans.

That some would-be opponents are having a tough time finding skeletons in his closet is amusing, and probably the only reason I keep up with the issue at all. Even some conservatives are second guessing him, based on a statement he made while getting confirmed to the DC Appeals Court in 2003:

"Roe v. Wade is the settled law of the land ...it's a little more than settled. It was reaffirmed in the face of a challenge ...there's nothing in my personal views that would prevent me from fully and faithfully applying that precedent."

Again, I'm no legal scholar, but anyone seeking confirmation to a U.S. appeals court, paricularly the one considered a stepping stone to the SCOTUS, must realize that appellate courts are not in the business of overturning Supreme Court decisions.

He knew not to rock the boat then, which is a good thing, because the next and final stop is Capitol Hill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home